Sabudana (sago or tapioca pearls) vada (patties) is not a south Indian food. It is a Bombay snack but has become very popular in Chennai. I never had it when I was growing up in Delhi. But, my mother made it when I visited her after I had moved to the US. I learned this recipe from her.
What you will need
Sago (Sabudana or ஜவ்வரிசி or साबुदाना): 1 cup
Baking potatoes: 2
Raw peanuts: 1/2 cup
Green chillies (optional)
Salt (to taste)
Chickpea or gram flour: 1 tablespoon
Oil for frying
1. Soak sago in water overnight. It will become spongy and puffy. Drain it completely in a sieve to remove all water.
2. Cook the potatoes till they become soft. Remove the skin and mash thoroughly.
3. Crush the peanuts coarsely.
4. Mix in sago, potatoes, peanuts, ginger, chillies, gram flour and salt.
5. Take a spoonful of the mix and flatten into a patty.
7. Remove from heat when they turn golden on both sides and drain on a paper towel to remove extra oil.
8. Serve with mint or tamarind chutney.
Thanks for visiting.