Do-Something-Everyday, August 2, 2016
It is letter D at ABC Wednesday and I have chosen the word Dishes (as in food).
Recently, the New York Times did a feature on its food section called Thirty Things You Should Make at Home (and not buy from store). The list consisted many baked goods, two each of dairy (butter and yogurt) and ethnic items (hummus and kimchi). I thought I would produce a list of my own Indian dishes that should be made at home and not bought from store.
These are about a dozen delicious dishes that I make at home but are readily available in Indian stores nowadays. These really do taste much better when made at home. They are listed below not in any particular order. If you click on the Recipes label at the top of the page, you will find detailed instructions for some of them.
1. Spice Powder (top picture)
2. Cooked beans (chickpeas, kidney etc.) at home. They taste much better than canned ones.
3. Low fat yogurt. Economical and better tasting than store bought.
4. Plantain Chips
5. Ghee (clarified butter)
6. Chutney (mint, cilantro or sweet)
7. Dosa batter
8. Gulab Jamun
9. Carrot Halwa (milk based carrot dessert)
I hope you enjoyed my little list.
Thanks for visiting.